Just cooked my first batch of Scottish ‘Tablet’ seems to have been a success.
Makes: 35 squares
- 900g (2 lb) caster sugar
- 125g (4 1/2 oz) butter
- 1 tin condensed sweetened milk
- 150ml (1/4 pt) milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large deep pot place all ingredients except vanilla over medium heat until all melts, stirring frequently. Simmer for 40 minutes stirring now and again.
- Bring to boil, add vanilla, remove from the heat stirring all the time; be careful.
- Electric whisk for 5 minutes; mixture will thicken.
- Spread mixture in a flat tray leave to cool for at least 1 hour. Cut into squares and enjoy.
- It’s very tasty and cut up into chunks now, but crumbly around the edges. Maybe take it out of the tin a bit more carefully next time…very delicious mind you. Success!